Hysterectomy: My daily Journey for the first 7 days after surgery.

Day Of Surgery:

Today I had a laparoscopic robotic Hysterectomy with bilateral salpingectomy (kept my ovaries so that I wouldn’t morph into a complete thunderous female dog). They put a tube down my throat to help me breathe while I was under general anesthesia. So when I woke up I had a very sore throat, catheter and IV fluids being administered.

I was in a lot of pain, they put a ton of gas on your stomach to see during the procedure so I had some gas pains on top of the additional pain from surgery. I think lodged gas is the worst feeling in the world. They give you small pillow and for the next few days my tummy pillow has been my best friend.

The next 12 hours I had to wear a bladder catheter which came in handy because Walking was difficult the first night. For the next 23 hours I needed to eat, belch, and pass gas. I also had to do breathing exercises to expand my lungs it didn’t feel good but its Seemed like a chore because I was hurting so badly.

First night I stayed consistent with taking my pain medications and stool softeners and I slept every chance I got, did breathing exercises and took it easy when I was awake.

My accomplishment of the day was:

1. I belched twice (little ones)

2. Sat up on the side of the bed for maybe 3-5mins.

3. Stood up on my feet and stretched the best I could.

Day 1: (Discharge Day!!)

At about 4:00am I welcomed the morning with an awful sharp pain that was the loudest fart in history. Boys was I relieved and my nurse celebrated this necessary milestone with me, it was pretty hilarious. Around 6:00am I got my catheter removed, It took me about an hour to use the bathroom after getting my catheter removed which is very good (especially since I knew that I wouldn’t be able to go home if I didn’t do those two things.) I was very sore and moving slowly but I didn’t let that stop me from getting ready to go home. Once I got home I did some breathing exercises and took it easy.

My accomplishment Today:

* passing gas

* walking around some

* taking a shower sitting on a shower bench.

Day 2:

This is disgusting but I have been a farting machine!! I still haven’t had an actual bowel movement but I every time I move I’m farting after! It’s gross but it’s a good thing because I’m getting the gas off my stomach from surgery and honestly I have never been so happy to pass gas in my life!

I was still in some pain but more sore than pain. It’s still a little tough to get around but it’s getting easier. I started taking pain meds twice a day. And maybe one mid day because the more I moved around the harder.

My accomplishment today:

*I walked around the house more.

* mastered farting

* met the goal for my breathing exercises (it’s not so painful to breathe in anymore so YAY! Still hurts to cough)

Day 3:

I still haven’t had a bowel movement but I’ve been getting up and walking around I noticed that the more I stand and walk around the more lightheaded and nauseated I was getting so I decided to take it easy.

I had my first real deal hot flash!! I wanted to cry I was burning up on the inside, got nauseated, felt like I was going to pass out and I couldn’t remove my clothes fast enough. I sat in front of the fan on fire as cool air meant nothing as it blew on my skin.

My four year old kept running into my bedroom and knocking into the bed. That hurt! And he snuck into my bed while I was sleeping and kicked me in my stomach in his sleep. I thought I was gonna die. Good news I didn’t but in the moment I thought I had a set back so I was now in pain AGAIN! I know it was harmless but geez!

My accomplishment today:

* I took a shower standing up * I’m standing up more straight.

*haven’t had to use my tummy pillow as much but I do when I lay down.

Day 4:

I was in pain when I got up this morning however I’m getting around a little faster. Haven’t needed the tummy pillow to walk. It’s not hurting as bad to cough. Only thing is I STILL haven’t had a bowel movement. I still get nauseated and lightheaded could be from the pain pill but it’s not as bad as before. I had another hot flash today, I had more control or knew what to expect this time, they feel like they last forever probably the longest 3-5 minutes ever.

My accomplishment today:

* I’m walking a little faster.

* I didn’t have to take any pain pills except in the morning when I first got up.

* I folded some clothes today and put them away.

*I made myself a pot pie!

All of these things helped me sleep really well because it wore me out.

Day 5:

Stomach is still swollen so to wipe myself after using the bathroom still a chore! Flatulence is still ever so present! I woke up so far so good. I’m sore but not to the point where it requires a pain pill. This could change because it’s still early in the day. I noticed that my hips and lower back ache a little the past few days more noticeable today. It could be due to the ginormous tight swollen gut I’ve been walking around with for the past 4 days, it’s so heavy. I’ve been showering every other day because it takes so much energy. So I get excited to feel fresh and put on a clean pair of pajamas. I was getting around pretty good I ended up having to take some ibuprofen eventually once I started to have some pain. My walking isn’t as labored, I’m not speedy Gonzales but I am getting around a lot better. I’m not sure where all this nausea is coming from but it’s getting really annoying after I showered, shampooed my hair, ate some lunch and made a smoothie (all while sitting might I add) I started getting nauseated and I had to go to bed.

My accomplishments today:

*I shampooed my hair in the shower

* made a smoothie

* made some Mac & Cheese (the microwave cup)


Day 6:

I was awakened at 6:00am unwillingly by my four yr old son. I’m a little sore and experiencing some cramps this morning. I still have gas, I don’t think that will be going away anytime soon. I’m feeling a little frustrated because some of the women I know said they bounced back with all kinds of energy a few days after surgery either they are lying, forgot, or my body clearly hates me. So me and my tummy pillow are still best friends with the nausea and gas pains I’m feeling today I think we will continue being besties for a few more days.

My bowls are moving! Hey! Hey! But still constipated so I will continue on taking the stool softeners until that department is normal and free flowing again.

Since I’m moving a little faster I went outside and walked around the little circle that I live in I went around it about 4 times, it felt good to get that stretch and good walk. I had to force myself to stand upright as I walked because the first thing I want to do is lean forward.

toward the end of the day it was exhausting. I ended up having to take an ibuprofen before bed because the cramp and walking made me a little sore and it was getting a little annoying.

My Accomplishment today:

* I made it the entire day without a pain pill until bedtime.

* I walked around my little cauldesac a few times with my boys.

Day 7:

I woke up feeling great! Not exactly ready to run a marathon but it’s an Amazing change compared to yesterday.

Everyday gets better. I’m standing up straight when I walk. I’m not in pain very little soreness but not enough for a pain pill. My stomach is still pretty tender but I’m feeling more mobile these days compared to what I was feeling.

I finally got into my recliner and sat up with my feet up and read a book. I made myself a cup of tea and just celebrated the small success of no pain. I’m very thankful for the laparoscopic surgery the recovery time is much better compared to when I had a cyst removed and a bikini line cut. I still have a ways to go but at least I can get around much better.

I felt so good today that I had my Mom came over and take me for a little ride around the neighborhood and to five below. I’ll admit Going over the bumps didn’t feel so good but I was glad to get out of the house. I’m still moving a little slow not noticeable I watched the pace. I enjoyed walking around the store some. It’s a small store but it felt huge!! By the time I got in the car I was sore and couldn’t wait to get home.

I opted to rest a while when J got home and not take a pain pill. I took a hot shower to ease my aching body and to my surprise it worked! This taught me that I am not 100% and take it easy.

My Accomplishment Today:

* Went for a ride in the car and did a little shopping.

* I didn’t take not 1 pain pill!!

I’m still on the road to recovery. Looking forward to getting back to 100% soon and going back to work. My kids are driving me crazy, it’s summer time and they have a little cabin fever due to my temporary ailment but I’ve tried to make the most of it.

This post is my personal experience others may have had different issues, more or less pain and that’s ok. I just wanted to share what I went through the first 7 days for the next woman that might be curious of what they may or may not go through after their procedure.

Thanks for reading!

%d bloggers like this: